Bifesta Cleansing: Japanese Cleanser Guide
Bifesta (ビフェスタ) is a range of Japanese skincare products with a specific focus on the importance of cleansing, removing makeup while still nurturing skin. Named after ‘beauty festival’ the brand is produced by Mandom and was first released in 2011.
Bifesta are the bestselling water-based makeup removers in Japan and have gained a huge following abroad too. The range is focused on water-based (and a couple of oil-based) makeup removers that come in a bunch of formulas; lotion, wipes, gel and foam.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
What is the best Bifesta Cleanser?
The following ratings are based upon the average product ratings across a range of Japanese (and global) beauty and shopping sites.
Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Range
The range of cleansing lotions are water-based and formulated to effectively remove makeup while still protecting moisture. They are described as makeup removers, cleansers and beauty lotions all rolled into one. Designed to be gently ‘wiped’ across the skin using a cotton pad (without the need for rubbing) they remove makeup and dead skin cells that can cause dullness. As the products are oil-free they don’t need to be washed off afterwards.
These lotions effectively remove most makeup and foundation, though they can sometimes leave traces of waterproof mascara and may need to be paired with another product (like this one). The range contains hyaluronic acid to deeply hydrate parched skin and all products are alcohol-free, colorant-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free. They do contain citric acid, which can sometimes be a trigger for more sensitive skin.
How do I use Bifesta Cleansing Lotion?
- Take a cotton pad (these are are a bestseller) and apply about 2-3 pumps of cleansing lotion to the pad.
- Gently wipe the cotton pad over your entire face. For areas with heavier makeup (such as the eyes and mouth) first apply the lotion and allow it to sit for a little while before wiping over these areas again.
- When the cotton pad becomes dirty, start again with a fresh cotton pad.
- Repeat until the cotton pad is clean, at this point the skin has been thoroughly cleansed. There is no need to wash the product from your face.
- Follow with the next step in your skincare regime.
1. Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Bright Up
This product is designed to remove dead skin cells and clear pores while maintaining moisture. It contains Vitamin C and AHA to improve skin clarity and help brighten dull skin.
2. Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Moist
This product is one of the highest-rated and is designed to lead to fresh and moisturized skin. It contains hyaluronic acid and amino acid to help protect and hydrate the skin.
3. Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Enrich
This formulation is designed to provide rich moisturization that leads to radiant and resilient skin. It contains Coenzyme Q10, ceramide-like components and hyaluronic acid.
4. Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Acne Care
This variation contains medicinal active ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties that are formulated to help prevent skin problems such as acne and rough skin. Many reviews describe smoother skin over time.
Bifesta Eye Makeup Remover
5. Bifesta Eye & Lip Makeup Remover
This product is a bestseller and has a staggering number of positive reviews. It’s an affordable eye makeup remover, that effectively removes waterproof mascara without leaving a greasy film. It is suitable for sensitive skin and doesn’t sting the eyes or leave them feeling cloudy.
To use this remover, shake the bottle well before use. Apply it generously to a cotton pad and the contents of the bottle will mix. Wipe over eyelids for 10 seconds to remove makeup. For particularly heavy makeup, let it sit for 30 seconds and then wipe off.
Bifesta Cleansing Wipes
These wipes are the most popular and highest-rated product by Bifesta! They come packaged with an airtight lid to keep them fresh. The sheets are rather large (15 x 20cm) and can remove most makeup with just a single sheet. Most of the range is designed for removing basic makeup, if you wear particularly heavy makeup these ones are recommended.
How do I use Bifesta Cleansing Wipes?
- Ensure your face is dry and remove one cleansing sheet from the package.
- Fold the sheet into quarters or eighths and start around the eyes and mouth, wiping the sheet across the skin. For heavier eye makeup let the folded sheet sit over the eye for about 10 seconds, then wipe the product away gently.
- As the sheet gets dirty, refold to reveal a clean surface and continue removing all makeup.
- Makeup removal is complete when the sheet is clean. There is no need to wash the product from your face.
- Follow with the next step in your skincare regime.
6. Bifesta Cleansing Wipes Bright Up
These wipes are designed for basic makeup removal that brightens the skin and helps clear pores. They contain a combination of Vitamin C and AHA.
7. Bifesta Cleansing Wipes Moist
The most highly-rated product by Bifesta! Also designed for basic makeup removal, these wipes protect against dryness to leave skin feeling moisturized.
8. Bifesta Cleansing Wipes Enrich
This variation is also designed for basic makeup removal, with a focus on achieving radiant and elastic skin. Contains Coenzyme Q10 and ceramide-like components.
9. Bifesta Cleansing Wipes Oil In
And finally, these wipes are designed for heavy makeup removal. They contain oil to help remove stubborn waterproof mascara. Squalane helps to moisturize dry and dirty skin.
Bifesta Foam Whip Range
These carbonated face washes have a micro foam that can penetrate deeper into pores, cleansing thoroughly to remove dirt and improve dull skin. Just one pump gives a rich and dense foam, without the need to create lather by hand. To use it, spread the foam across your face, massage for 20 to 30 seconds using your fingertips (to increase blood flow) and rinse off with water. Contains hyaluronic acid to leave skin feeling moisturized and smooth.
10. Bifesta Foaming Whip Bright Up
This cleansing foam contains lactic acid, a keratin softening ingredient. It is designed to help remove dead skin cells and leave skin feeling clearer and brighter.
11. Bifesta Foaming Whip Sebum
This variation contains green tea extract to help tighten pores and control sebum, leaving skin feeling clean and moisturized.
Bifesta Facial Wash Range
12. Bifesta Facial Wash Dual Cleansing
This is the only product from the facial wash range I’ve been able to find available abroad. It is a two in one wash; a moisturizing cleanser that can also remove makeup. When used with a foaming net, it creates a dense lather. Contains natural orange oil and hyaluronic acid for moisture, and lactic acid to soften dead skin cells, making them easier to remove.
Bifesta Cleansing Balm
13. Bifesta Cleansing Balm Hot Type
This product comes in a gel format that has a warming effect when applied to the skin. It removes long-wear makeup, though care should be taken around the eyes. The packaging says to avoid eye contact and that it won’t remove heavy applications like waterproof mascara. Contains natural orange oil and hyaluronic acid for moisture.